How do I apply for aged care?
Applying for an aged care home for a loved one is easier than you might think.
The following steps provide an overview of the application process. If you have any questions at any stage, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our staff are committed to supporting you through the process from your initial enquiry to moving and settling in to your new home.
- Make an appointment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) and have an ACAT assessment. If you are assessed as eligible for residential aged care or home care, you will receive an Aged Care Client Record. Keep a copy of this as you will need it when you apply to the home or provider of your choice. Making an appointment is done by calling the My Aged Care Hotline on 1800 200 422.
- Find an aged care home. Choosing a home near where you or your loved ones live or work makes it easier to visit regularly.
- Contact the home of your choice and make an appointment with the Director of Nursing for a tour. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and have a look around.
- Fill in the application forms. There are a few that you will need to complete, so our staff will sit with you and guide you through the process if you like. We also recommend contacting Centrelink for an income and assets test. These aren’t compulsory, but they ensure that you are charged the correct amount for your care and accommodation.
- Move and settle in to your new home.
For more information about applying for aged care, contact the Director of Nursing at the home of your choice.